Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Day 4: Chicken Pot Pies (January 9)

I watch a lot of Food Network. I can watch most any show on their at any time and enjoy getting ideas from it. I DVR Diners, Drive Ins and Dives and have 10-20 saved so I can watch at any time.

The problem with always watching Food Network is that it makes you always want to cook something and always makes you hungry.

As my wife and I watched a chicken pot pie showed up in “The Best Thing I’ve Ever Ate” and my wife immediately wanted some. I gotta be honest, I don’t know that I have ever had pot pie and the thought of making it intrigued me.

So I did what I always do, I looked up a few quick recipes online, made mental notes, and decided to go on a quest to develop my own Pot Pie. We had all but about 3 of the ingredients I would need in the house already so after a quick trip to the store, I was ready to go.

Flaky Crust (from http://www.ochef.com/187.htm and slightly edited based on my experience)
3 Sticks cold unsalted butter, cut into ½ -inch pieces
3 cups of flour
1 tsp salt
2/3 cup chilled water (I only ended up needing about 1/3 cup)

Put the butter in a clean bowl and chop it roughly with a knife. Dump the flour and salt on top and work with your hands to cut the butter and flour together. When well combined, but still dry and rough, add the water, a small amount at a time, and mix with hands. It will look like a mess, but it produces beautiful dough.

Scrape all dough from bowl and place on a work surface with flour or use a pastry mat. With a rolling pin, begin to roll out the crumbly dough into a 6- by 8-inch rectangle. Use a dough scraper or other flat surface to fold the two short edges of the rectangle to the center, and then fold the bottom side over the top, as if you were closing a wallet. Turn the dough 90° and roll it out again to form a 6- by 8-inch rectangle. Repeat the folding process. You may need to dust the dough and counter with flour occasionally to keep it from sticking to the rolling pin. Place the dough in a plastic bag and refrigerate for ONLY 15 minutes.

Remove the dough from the refrigerator and repeat the roll and fold process two more times. Use immediately (I refrigerated mine as the original instructions said and the dough was so hard I had to thaw it out slightly wrapped in a paper towel over boiling water). When you're ready to assemble the pot pie, roll the dough out to 1/8-inch thick and use bowl tops to cut 6 circles.

Filling
6 Boneless/Skinless chicken tenderloins, boiled in water till cooked, then shredded finely with hands
1 Baking potato, chopped in to ½ inch pieces
1 Yellow Onion, diced
1 Stick unsalted butter
2 Cups frozen peas/carrots mix
6 Cloves garlic, diced
2 Cups Milk
2 Cups chicken broth
¼ Cup chopped flat leaf parsley
1 Teaspoon pepper
1/3 Cop Chopped green onion
1/2 Tablespoon paprika
1 Tablespoon Crushed Rosemary
¼ Cup flour

Combine onions, potato, butter, peas/carrots and garlic in saucepan over medium heat and cook until onions are translucent. Add milk through rosemary and simmer for 15 minutes. Slowly stir in flour and simmer until sauce thickens.

Fill 6 oven safe bowls with equal amounts and top with crust. Cut 4 slits in crust and bake at 350 for 25 minutes or until crust is brown.

Getting the wife involved!

Letting it simmer

Cut the dough to fit your bowl for great individual servings

Filler up!

Finally baked goodness. I had to give a shout out to my Blue Devils, even though food!




--------------------------------------------
DISCLAIMER: As much as I try to measure each ingredient, a majority of the measurements included in this recipe are guesstimated but well within reason. I cannot guarantee that using this exact recipe will yield the same result I had so please taste as you cook. Improvise, enjoy, these are recipes for real (yes, that was cheesy).

No comments:

Post a Comment